Thursday, May 26, 2011

Trofast Train Table


I thought I would share this creative project that we completed last year, it ended up being an early Christmas present for the kids.  Using a discounted IKEA Trofast storage system, a salvaged school desk, and some free paints, we were able to make a train table with plenty of storage for half the cost of the popular ready made Thomas the Tank Engine train tables.
This table can also be used as an art table, toy car table, Lego table and the best part is the storage space all these toys.
  
First I took the legs off an old school desk, which I saved from the bin at my work, leaving just the table top.  On a visit to ikea I was thrilled to find a Trofast  ex display storage unit for $80 in the AS IS section and purchased some storage boxes with lids to go in it.

I used some timber strips and attached them around the edge of the desk to stop the trains and cars from falling off the edge. Next, I screwed the table top to the frame using metal brackets and small screws. Amazingly, I didn’t have to drill any extra holes to secure it, as I was able to use the existing holes in the unit.

Next we painted the table; I scored about 50 water based paint sample pots from a skip bin, so I gave them to my wife for her to work her magic. We chose a beach/grass theme with a helicopter pad and some roads to make it interesting.  Once she had finished painting and let it dry she sealed the entire table top with a clear sealer to stop it from scratching and to make cleaning easier. We then labeled the boxes to keep it all organized.


The kids absolutely love it and find creative ways to use it.
Such a cool idea and all up it cost us about $120, less than the retail price of the IKEA frame and less than half the price of a Thomas brand train table. Once they outgrow it, I can simply take the top off and still have a functional storage unit.
Hope you enjoyed reading, Thanks again!
RR

No comments:

Post a Comment